11.17.2010

Brooklyn Thanksgiving!

I really LOVE roasting a big fat turkey. So for a few years now I have invited friends to my apartment to join me for a thanksgiving feast.  The first time I did this I was still in college in Rochester, the turkey was 15 pounds and the gravy ended up all over the front of my jeans and on my kitchen floor.  Since then the turkey has gotten larger, the guests have gotten more numerous, and this year I gave up on making gravy altogether.
While roasting a turkey can be a challenge in and of itself, once it's ready to go and in the oven, all that's left to do is babysit. So this year I decided to indulge my love of baking as well.  I found a recipe for a vanilla-spiced caramel and pear tart in Bon Appetit magazine that looked just challenging enough to tackle.  The recipe can be found here 
The tart turned out great, but if I had it to do over again, I would make sure that the tart was out of the oven well before the turkey had to enter, because trying to juggle the shelves and temperate for both at the same time, was not that easy. 
Here are some photos from the process:

These are the pears carmelizing on the stove with the cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise.

These are the pears, fully carmelized, cooling in the skillet by the window. 


Here are the pears and filling in the springform pan, all ready to go in the oven



Here's the finished tart, all puffed up and begging to be eaten




And as a bonus, here are the brussel sprouts that Lauren brilliantly diced

No comments:

Post a Comment